Friday, June 25, 2010

Dylan Stickney: Bartender by Day, Cork Carver also by Day

My new job at the Portsmouth Gaslight is probably the best summer job I could have ever asked for. Live music on the deck every night, an incredible wait-staff filled exclusively with young (and let’s face it: ludicrously hott) people that I really enjoy, great owners, and awesome managers. However, the inside day shifts get pretty agonizingly slow at times… but it allows us to creatively seek out busy-work. This has mostly taken the form of large quantities of cleaning, and getting really good at the daily crosswords/sudokus, but the Gaslight’s very own bartender, Dylan Stickney, is now finding passion and inspiration with each newly opened bottle of wine. Cork carving: an art form for the ages. Dylan allowed me to interview him this last Wednesday about his new-found talent, and I’m very excited to present an inside look into his wondrous mind, and the extraordinary process of turning a regular cork into a beautiful sculpture.

Nicole: Wow, Dylan, how did you even discover that you had this gift?
Dylan: One day, at the Gaslight, after getting frustrated and outsmarted by that damn crossword, and not interested in cutting anymore fruit, I began staring off into the distance. Mel, an amazing Gaslight kitchen member was enjoying a frosty brew at my bar (after her shift, in case anyone from the New Hampshire liquor board is reading) and I thought to myself: I love beer. And of those beers I really love Dogfish 60-minute IPA. So naturally, I wanted a replica of the tap handle… my medium: the most recent 7 Deadly Zyns cork. I carved that replica of the Dogfish tap handle, and I gave it to Mel for drawing inspiration out of me. And that’s where it all began.


*It should be mentioned that as we talk Stickney is concentrated, diligent, and attentive to detail as he carves a lion out of a Pigmento Malbec, and humbly answers questions about his raw talent.

Nicole: Did you find it came easy for you?
Dylan: Relatively. I’m alright with a knife, and what can I say? I’m good with my hands.
Nicole: (I blush) Enough said, can you tell us a little bit about the process?
Dylan: Well, it starts with an ordinary piece of prosthetic cork; my blank canvas, and then for about 15 minutes I assume a pensive position and think about what I want to make, assessing the possibilities relative to the dimensions and size of the cork. Some recent inspirations include: animals, busty bar guests, family interests, and alcohol. The color of the cork has a lot to do with it too, but once decided I go to work with the fruit knife. Each cork takes me about 4 hours between stocking, cleaning, eating, texting, and talking to the occasional bar guest.
Nicole: You know, I’m amazed that people just waltz right in here, sit at your bar, and have no clue that they were just served a perfectly headed beer by one of the most genius artists in the Portsmouth area. So where do all your creations go?
Dylan: Some I give away to worthy Gaslight customers and the rest, for right now, sit atop my girlfriend’s (sorry ladies) living room mantle. One day I hope to own a store, and sell my tiny masterpieces.
Nicole: Well Dylan, I think you’ve got quite the start, news of your custom figurines have made it all the way around the street level employees/managers, down to the pizza pub, and even to the upstairs nightclub bartenders. What are your current projects?
Dylan: I have many requests from my co-workers, family and friends the list right now is: the Mr. Planters Peanut, a giraffe, various flowers, and a mermaid.
Nicole: So where do you plan on taking this, what are your further goals?

Dylan: You know since this crazy ride started, I’ve felt that bigger things were calling my name. I hope to one day stumble upon a life-size cork and have my way with it, but I’ve also thought about exploring different mediums. I mean, if I’m good with a fruit knife and a cork, it can’t be that much different than a chain-saw and a block of ice. I really feel as though my sculpting career has just begun.
Nicole: Wise words Dylan, your ambition astounds me. However, I’ve heard that there is a small controversy with Gaslight owner, Eric Sorli, about right of sale. Any comments?
Dylan: Yea, the contract is being drawn up right now, and the conflict resolution has been very amiable. No worries there.
Nicole: Well that’s good to hear! Thanks so much for your time Dylan, may you carve until your heart is content.

There you have it, for purchasing opportunities email Dylan: Dylan@putacorkinit.com or come visit us weekday afternoons at the Gaslight to make our ultimate dream really come true: to be busy enough that we don’t have time to carve things out of cork, or conduct a full scale interview about it.

1 comment:

  1. That is such an amazing article about what you can do during the down time at the GasLight. I have seen Dylan's carvings and thought that it would be fun to try and carve some myself and I have failed so far. Cork carving is an art form that takes some serious practice and raw talent which I don't possess. Maybe I can create my own niche like practicing for a pizza spinning contest.

    ReplyDelete