Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Getting Acquainted with New Orleans

In a city with over 5 million things to do, you might feel overwhelmed, so I'll start you off with 5...


1. Ride the St. Charles street car end to end. Sure, I may have done this accidentally because I was confused about where I was supposed to go, but the result was the best $1.25 tour of New Orleans I could have possibly asked for. The street car is a piece of history itself, and offers extraordinary people-watching opportunities and a way to really get your bearings in the city.


2. Shop at the thrift stores along uptown Magazine St. My favorite was the Funky Monkey. I tried on clothes that made me feel a lot cooler than I actually am, and found a really good black romper. Don’t expect Good Will prices, but expect to have some fun, I even did, and I hate shopping. After, reward your eclectic self with an Abida (the local brew) at one of the many outdoor patio bars.


3. Sit and absorb the raging Mississippi on one of the park benches along the banks in the French Quarter. Stop before or after at the famous Café Du Monde for some coffee/beignets open 24 hours.


4. End up at a dive bar dancing til 4am. Take advantage of a land where bars don’t close, and bar hop until you’re satisfied. There are plenty of visitors and locals alike that will be down to party with you any day of the week. Some possible ventures include F and M Patio Bar, specifically for dancing (4841 Tchoupitoulas St) Le Bon Temps to get your pool on, and laugh with awesome bartenders (4801 Magazine St.) and Cooter Browns to eat good bar food and go to a place with “cooter” in the title (509 S Carrollton Ave).


5.Get drive-thru daiquiris. For those that have never been, you may think I’m kidding, but I assure you I am not. Drive-thru frozen drinks is a genius idea, I wonder why they’re not everywhere in America… hmmm… Well, if you don’t have a car, grab some daiquiris anyway, they’re a staple in a New Orleans diet.

2 comments:

  1. For #3, they are beignets, not donuts. And Cafe du monde is 'world' famous for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks Al... I'll change that :)

    ReplyDelete